Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lucky enough to be part of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame event

Lucky enough to be part of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame event. « Holistic Lifestyles Radio

Lucky enough to be part of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame event.

by Holistic Lifestyles Radio on May.18, 2011, under Home

Ricky Byrd and Mavis Staples

Post By Ricky Byrd

I was lucky enough to be part of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame event in Cleveland last weekend.I’m in the House band with Liberty DeVitto (Billy Joel), Jeff Carlisi(38 Special), Jeff Adams(Starship), Rob Arthur (Peter Frampton) and singer Tabitha Fair.

We’ve been doing this every year except one since 2006, and have had the pleasure to back up a bunch of great artists over the years, but baby this year was it!!! Not only did we play with Darlene Love, Chuck Jackson, Ronnie Spector and Tears for Fears lead singer Curt Smith…but the one and only Mavis Staples. Mavis Staples I said!! Talk about a Ray of Light.

First off when she came to sound check she remembered all of our names, which is not the case for most artists we play with. Then she teased me about looking like a young Dylan who she dated in the 60’s..just a sweetheart. The room lit up when she walked in. We did 3 tunes with Mavis..”The Weight”, “Wrote a Song for everyone” and I’ll take you there!!

When she started “I’ll take you there” I looked around and everyone on stage(including me) had tears in there eyes. Mavis was testifyin’.. and this was just sound check..lol.

Before the show I went up to her dressing room to say how much it meant to this long time sober lad to play with someone as spiritual as she and we talked for about a 1/2 hr. I walked out of there floating on air. Just a joy to be around. The show itself was better than great and it is an experience I’ll never forget. I get to do all these cool things because I’m sober, show up and can be trusted to do a good job. Grateful, Sober and Ready to Rock I am!!!

* Post by Ricky Byrd Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter of the NYC Hit Squad and formerly of Joan Jett and The Blackhearts. Ricky has also recorded and or toured with other great musicians like Roger Daltrey, Ian Hunter and Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes.

Check out Ricky Byrd at: http://www.rockersinrecovery.com/index.php?do=/Byrdman/